
If you told me two years ago that Jhon Duran would be playing in the Russian Premier League, I would've laughed in your face. The Colombian has been on an international tour since leaving Premier League side Aston Villa in January last year, including stints at Al Nassr, Fenerbahce, and now Zenit St. Petersburg. Whether here or there, the one thing that hasn't changed is Duran himself, and he didn't take long to make an impact at his new club.
The Colombian has shown his talent in abundance wherever he has been, having scored seven goals in four Premier League starts in the 2024/2025 season. This talent has proven to come at a costly price. The striker has shown that he lets his feelings be known on the football pitch, often finding his way into the referee's book. You may just think, oh, it's alright – he gets stuck in and picks up a few yellow cards for his troubles.
That is far from the case. Stamps, slaps, elbows – the man is a walking red card. He lived up to this reputation in his debut for Zenit during a pre-season FRIENDLY against Chinese Super League side Shanghai Port. Five minutes into the match, Duran was chasing down a long ball before getting into an altercation with the opposition’s central defender. Honestly, I have seen similar moves in WWE matches; at least these ones were real.
Just 5 minutes into his debut for Zenit, Jhon Duran did this 😭😭😭😭 pic.twitter.com/4I2lneLXPN
— george (@StokeyyG2) February 17, 2026
Needless to say, the 22-year-old received a yellow card for his troubles, likely to be the first of many in Zenit colours. That said, if VAR had been present on this occasion, there is no doubt that the colour of the card would've been different.
As mentioned, Duran has established himself as a global talent, but this choice of career path has left many baffled. The striker departed Aston Villa with the intention of getting more playing time, having played second fiddle to Ollie Watkins during his time at the club. While this is understandable, perhaps the decision to move to a club that has Cristiano Ronaldo leading the line is less so. If the aim was to step out of someone's shadow, moving into another cast by one of the most dominant forwards of the modern era feels contradictory. Of course, the money factor had nothing to do with it.
Duran scored 12 goals in 18 appearances for Al Nassr, including consecutive braces in the AFC Champions League Elite. His time at the club was hampered by personal issues and struggles with adapting to the Saudi lifestyle. This included the strict cohabitation laws that restricted Duran and his girlfriend from living with each other, having yet to marry. Obviously, everybody would be abiding by this law, unless your name happens to be Cristiano Ronaldo. The Saudi law turned a blind eye to Ronaldo living with his girlfriend, Georgina Rodriguez, having recently signed a new two-year deal at Al Nassr worth upwards of £492 million.
This, alongside the obvious unlikelihood of being the first-choice striker, saw Duran depart the club after just six months and secure a one-year loan deal with Fenerbahce in July. The rollercoaster ride continued, and Duran had found yet another bench to keep himself warm on for the time being. Making just six starts for the club since July, it was not only the playing time that was disappearing, but the goals had also dried up too. Duran scored five goals in 21 appearances for the Super Lig side, a shadow of the talent that raced onto our screens in his Aston Villa days.
With his momentum stalling at a crucial stage of his development, both parties agreed that it was best to part ways. A 22-year-old Colombian international with the world at his feet, already proving his worth in European football (that goal against Bayern will never be forgotten). You can understand why many have been left confused by his latest career choice, joining a side that is banned from competing in Europe. Following Russia's invasion of Ukraine in 2022, UEFA has suspended all Russian club teams and national teams 'until further notice', with reports suggesting this will continue at least until the end of this season. Zenit St Petersburg, a regular competitor in the Champions League in recent years, was stripped of its rights to host the 2022 Champions League Final that was played at the Stade de France.
That said, this could be a smart choice by Duran, for a change. Away from the limelight and a chance to regain his confidence and showcase his ability in a competitive league. Let's be honest, we all miss the Colombian's chaos on our screens, whether it be a top-bin rocket or an elbow to the head.
Join our newsletter
Become a part of our community and never miss an update from Football Park.
Contact Sales