The final chapter of the title race: Who will be victorious?
Blogs

The final chapter of the title race: Who will be victorious?

10/03/24 22:44

The weekend was entertaining to say the least when it came to Premier League Football and two games showcased that perfectly. Arsenal faced Brentford knowing a win would put them top of the league and apply pressure to Liverpool and City. Meanwhile those two clubs would meet at Anfield in a game which could become a defining moment in the title race. Liverpool started the weekend as the league leaders but the twists and turns of the Premier League had other ideas.

Starting with Arsenal, despite their recent form they were brought back down to Earth, as a rigid Brentford came to the Emirates and frustrated Mikel Arteta’s side. Despite finding the net through Declan Rice, Arsenal had to fight for a winner late on due to an Aaron Ramsdale error giving Brentford an equaliser in what could potentially be his last game for the club. However, Ramsdale’s blushes were spared in the end by none other than Kai Havertz as he headed the ball home in the 86th minute, sending the Emirates wild. Arsenal were top and had done their job. The focus was on Sunday’s big match.

Liverpool showed a lot of character throughout the match as they were not fielding their best team thanks to injuries. Man City went into halftime with the lead thanks to John Stones scoring at the near post from a corner, which Liverpool will look back on thinking they should have defended better. Suddenly Manchester city were top of the table. Liverpool responded instantly in the second half as Darwin Nunez was brought down by Ederson in the box with Alexis MacAllister scoring from the resulting penalty. The feeling in Anfield had changed, a win was possible with their momentum. Despite creating chances throughout the half, especially for Luis Diaz who missed on two occasions, the reds would fail to find that elusive winner. There was one moment where that hope of a late win was still there as a late VAR check for a penalty to Liverpool. Despite it looking like Doku had made contact with MacAllister’s chest while clearing the ball, the decision was no penalty which many Liverpool fans and fans of other clubs have been up in arms over.

As a draw was the final result, the top three is now the tightest it has been all season. Arsenal are top on 64 points, while Liverpool are 2nd and only behind Arsenal on goal difference and Manchester City sit in third with only one point less than the former pair. With just 10 games remaining we are poised for a spectacular end to the Premier League season. Opta assessed the importance of Liverpool’s fixture with Man City and showed just how much each possible result would have impacted the odds. A win for Liverpool would’ve made them outright favourites with 54% chance of winning the League, whereas the opposite would be true if Man City won the match as they would have a whopping 68% chance of becoming Champions again. However, as it ended in a draw, the odds are actually a lot tighter. Just 15% separates City and Liverpool’s chances as City have 48% odds and Liverpool have 33%. The most significant outcome is that this result was perfect for Arsenal, they now have a 19% chance and with their next game at the Etihad they know what needs to be done.

It would be impossible to predict who comes out on top out of the three sides with it so close, but one thing we do know is the next month or so of the season has been set up perfectly. Now, with all eyes set on Arsenal’s game against Man City at the end of the month, it feels like a proper title race, if Arsenal dared win at the Etihad the race would be blown wide open. The storylines for all three make great champions; Arsenal winning 20 years after the Invincibles, Man City winning a fourth league title in a row (the first in English history) and Liverpool sending Jurgen Klopp off with the league in his hands. Let’s see how the events unfold in the weeks to come, but more importantly we should be grateful for the season we are watching. With 10 games to go we have three potential league winners, the European spots are all up for grabs and no teams have been relegated yet. This has the potential to be the greatest finish to a Premier League season we have seen in a long time.

Videos

See more
How LOYAL are Crystal Palace fans?
Find out how Palace's supporters rank their own players against the world's best
Football Tic Tac Toe | WHO will win?
Find out who is victorious in this week's edition of Tic Tac Toe
Football Imposter | WHO is not telling the TRUTH?!
Who will be victorious and avoid the blame in this week's episode

Join our newsletter

Become a part of our community and never miss an update from Football Park.